Sunday, June 17, 2007

Edenton Music & Water Festival

This is a great event and last year I had a blast. However I had a previous commitment in Williamston, so I was not able to spend the whole day at Edenton as I would have liked. However I did get there early to cover the races. The most important of these are the featured USCA Canoe and Kayak Races.



As early as I got there, racers were already unloading their canoes and kayaks for the day's festivities before I arrived. In the background you can see the Roanoke River Lighthouse that is being refurbished. (Scroll down to see the great article we posted earlier on the move of the lighthouse!)




Everyone carries their own canoe or kayak from the parking lot to the registration area, it is a part of the ritual of these races.



I got to chat with a couple of nice people from Winston-Salem who had driven in for the event John & Jean Munn (shown below carrying their canoe).





These (shown above) are some of the more professional particpants with their special multi canoe trailer, gobs of different size and shape paddles, along with enough life preservers to cover an army.



After dropping off their canoes and kayaks everyone checked in at registration to get their numbers, the course layout and rules for the day. Also of course to pay registration if they had not already done so.






Nancy Nichols (shown below) was (as always) greeting everyone and trying to make sure that things were perfect. As usual with a Nancy run event, they were!



As race time approaches, everyone gets ready to launch their boat. First they hold the race participant meeting where the organizers review the rules.



After that it is amazing how quickly they get into the water. Step one, walk up to the side of the dock. Lower the boat.



Then step into the boat and shove off. Nothing to it.



It is happening all around the small launch area. Within only a couple of moments after the race meeting, everyone is launched and headed to the start line.






One of the new events this year was the paddle with the Periauger . . .



There was a fun event where everyone who did not want to race could follow this classic Sail Boat around the harbor. As I was walking over to the start line, I passed the U.S. Coast Guard Auxialiary pushing off to get into position as well. Here is James Lyle (shown below), from Roper, one of the Auxiliary officers who help out with these types of events.






As we get to the start line, everyone is lined up. There is a momentary bit of excitement as a large boat creates a wake that rolls a couple of the kayaks over. The officials boat helps them right the kayaks and get lined up for the start again.



With the starters pistol ringing in our ears everyone is off.



The faster boats quickly open up a large lead.



While the canoes and kayaks are out of sight, I stroll through the food and trinket area. Lots of things for sale.



I didn't plan to buy anything, but the smell of Bratwurst is too much, and I buy one with everything. It is fantastic!




I am out of time and have to head for Williamston, but I take one last picture of all of the geese by the waterfront (shown below). It is a beautiful reminder of Edenton and this great event. If you missed it this year, plan to come next. You will not regret it.







I missed the excitement later in the day, but shortly after I left they started the
Music from noon until dusk. Gospel, Jazz, Folk, Bluegrass, Country, Classic Rock & Roll, Contemporary Christian.

There was even a Climbing Wall for the adventurous!

Click here to see our coverage of last years event!

I will post race results as soon as I get them.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home